Turning, Listening

I spent yesterday observing Yom Kippur – absorbing the wise words and expressions of deep feeling of others, engaging in self-reflection and consideration of forgiveness and responsibility. In the Jewish traditions in which I participate, we speak of “turning,” of positioning ourselves to live a more just and meaningful life, of listening to others and acting on our values. I will continue this turning.

I have tried hard to listen to the concerns of all members of the Wesleyan community, and especially to those students who want our school to do more to acknowledge their experience – their accomplishments, to be sure, but also their pain and vulnerability. Over the years I have heard from countless young people who have found at Wesleyan – through their friends, teachers and staff mentors – the path to developing the capacity to do work they find fulfilling, to live lives they find meaningful. But I have also heard from many who believe alma mater can do much more — that we must do more if we are to become a truly equitable and inclusive place.

I’ll have more specific things to say about this early next week with specific ideas of how to increase transparency, to improve our disciplinary and Title IX adjudication processes, and to follow up on recommendations concerning faculty/staff diversity and a student resource center.

These are some of the areas in which I know we can improve. But we all need to see results and not just rhetoric. By working together, by making real changes that matter to students, I hope we can rebuild trust while building a campus culture in which everyone takes pride.