1 thought on “Planning the Balance of Autonomy and Alignment”

1. [quote] After putting on ten pounds and getting my own booth at O’Rourke’s [/quote]

LOL. I can definitely see how that might happen.

On a more serious note, I can’t help but notice that one of our Little Three sister colleges is suffering from some of the same worries about outdated science facilities, and the languishing percentage of its students who major in NSM disciplines. That, together with news of its endowment losses and budgetary machinations, have given rise to talk of its even eliminating a department.

Somehow, I don’t see Wesleyan headed in the same direction (even if it’s only a matter of jittery alumni blogging) and I wonder if one reason isn’t because we simply have a different approach and philosophy, one that tolerates “imbalance”? A certain degree of imbalance is implicit whenever one focuses on a particular train of thought or line of inquiry and can often lead to wonderful “teaching moments”; and, in the case of Wesleyan’s NSM departments, there is the added potential of “creating new knowledge” in the form of federally supported research. I wonder if these shouldn’t be added to the equation as well?