Wes Coast-to-Coast

I am writing this from the airport in San Francisco, at the end of a West Coast trip to see alumni and parents. Although I am eager to get home, it is always informative to visit with our far-flung Wes community. In the Pacific Northwest, I met with grads who have been out for more than 50 years, and others who just finished up in the spring. There were lots of questions about how the international economic downturn is affecting alma mater, and plenty of generous support—despite the fact that many of these same people are feeling the crisis in their own budgets. In Seattle I was particularly impressed with the growing network of professionals in a wide variety of fields who reach out to help new Wesleyan alumni arriving in Washington or Oregon.

The San Francisco reception took place at the spectacular new Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park, a great accomplishment of architect Renzo Piano. Some Wesleyan friends were kind enough to host the reception there, and we had more than 300 attendees. Here, too, people wanted to know about economic issues, and again there was great support for building a robust financial aid program for the future. We talked about the seven planning areas that I’ve written about before on this blog, and there was a great deal of excitement about the College of the Environment and the other initiatives.

It felt strange to be back in the Bay Area with a rented car, scurrying around like a tourist in the place that had been my home for 7 years. I did have a moment at the end to visit California College of the Arts and my old friend Steve Beal, now the school’s president. CCA is thriving, and it was delightful to see some of the projects we began a few years ago now working so well.

I’ll be glad to return to Connecticut for this weekend before Election Day. Many faculty, staff and students are engaged in getting out the vote. The Wesleyan Student Assembly canceled its Sunday meeting, and each member instead is spending three hours this week in community service or civic activism. WSA VP Saul Carlin ’09 reports the following:

“Here are a few examples of the types of activities WSA members may be engaged in:

My flight is about ready to board. Can’t wait to be back on campus!

[tags] West Coast trip, international economic downturn, Academy of Sciences, Golden Gate Park, financial aid, seven planning areas, College of the Environment, California College of the Arts, Steve Beal, Election Day, Wesleyan Student Assembly, Saul Carlin ’09, community service, civic activism, voter registration, mentoring [/tags]

2 thoughts on “Wes Coast-to-Coast”

1. Thanks for posting about Wesleyan’s activism in the election! This past weekend, a group of about fifteen Wesleyan students traveled up to New Hampshire to canvas for Barack Obama. When we arrived at the Plymouth campaign office, someone saw my Wesleyan t-shirt and asked if I went to Wesleyan. It turns out he and three other individuals there were all Wes alums who graduated last year, and who arrived at the campaign office independently. There was also another Wes alum who graduated in the 60s volunteering in the office. It’s great to see so many generations of Wesleyan students engaged in civic discourse and political activism that they believe in!