Two Guggenheims and Now a Pulitzer!

In my previous post I congratulated Professors Elizabeth Willis and Magda Teter on their recent awards from the John Simon Guggenheim Foundation. Today I learned that Visiting Theater Professor Quiara Alegría Hudes was just awarded the Pulitzer Prize for her play “Water by the Spoonful.” Professor Hudes (who also wrote the book for the Wes originated musical “In the Heights”) is here this semester teaching advanced writing for theater with Claudia Nascimento, and we hope she will be returning next year. CONGRATULATIONS!

I should add accolades to those already received by Noah Korman ’14, Greg Faxon ’14, Adam Keller ’14, Mark Nakhla ’13 and Sam Choi ’12 for their ASL music video of No Church in the Wild. Greg wrote to me to sing the praises of our sign language professor, Sheila Mullen. I’m sure she’s very proud!

Wes Students Sign “No Church in the Wild”

[youtube width=”640″ height=”360″]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBi_18OGF6A[/youtube]

1 thought on “Two Guggenheims and Now a Pulitzer!”

1. Sheila Mullen is the only teacher I had at Wes of those mentioned–she is fantastic and under-appreciated! I was so terrible at American Sign Language and she spent many extra hours helping me, with incredible patience.